ORCHID FLASKING (SEED SOWING) PART 3: Sterilizing and sowing the seeds

Finally, the day to flask has arrived!

I read many different methods to flask seed at home (and some that were written by people who have access to labs). The best resource I found was Dustin's detailed blog post and videos at Here but Not.

The photographs for this post are not up to my usual standards as I was busy actually , but I'll describe the steps I used.


First, I sterilized the glove box with 70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. 

Then, I started sterilizing the seeds in hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes. I did two separate pods, each in their own newly opened 3 ml syringe. I removed the plunger, tapped seeds into the back of the syringe, then carefully replaced the plunger. I made a solution of fresh hydrogen peroxide with a touch of dish washing liquid. I sucked the solution into the syringes, then shook and moved the plungers to make sure all of the seeds had contact with the solution.

With the timer ticking, I placed the jars directly from the closed, cooled pressure cooker into the glove box. I put the seed syringes and a can opener into the glove box, then sprayed everything with alcohol, trying not to get it on the tip of the syringes. 

When the timer was up, I opened the jars. I unscrewed the lids then used the can opener to break the seal. I attempted to put 4 or 5 drops of seeds into each jar, then put the lids back on and screwed them tight. Then I took the jars out and wrapped plastic wrap around the joint. 

Things could have gone better in the glove box-- it is awkward to manipulate things with thick gloves that are slick with alcohol. Some things fell over, things were touched that should not have been, etc. 

The jars are now in a warm, bright spot on my shelves, fingers crossed for germination of orchid seed (and no mold or bacteria). 



            

Comments

Popular Posts